Animal Services

How long does it take an Animal Services Officer to arrive?
We cannot provide a specific time; Officers are dispatched according to urgency.

What's the difference between the Humane Society/Pet Alliance and Animal Services?
The Humane Society is a national animal related non-profit organization. The local non-profit animal related organization is the Pet Alliance of Orlando. Animal Services is a government agency that enforces County Code to protect citizens and animals.

How much does it cost to adopt an animal?
Animal Services adoption fees are $55 for dogs and $40 for cats. Promotions are frequently offered, find out more at

Who do I call when I need to report a Pet/Animal Issue?
Please dial 311 or (407) 836-3111.

What are the hours of operation?
Animal Services is open Monday thru Saturday: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm and Sunday from 1 p.m. through 5 p.m.

Emergency & Safety

Where do I go when evacuating with a pet?
Please refer to our list of pet friendly shelters.

Where can I find everything I need during an evacuation or emergency?
Call 311 for information while preparing for (and during the event of) a disaster. Also, (407) 836-3111.


How can I see who's in Jail?
Check our online inmate database.

What do I need to know before I visit someone in jail?
Please refer to the video visitation page.

How do I send mail to an inmate?
Refer to our Sending Mail to Inmates page.

What is the number for the Orange County Sheriff's Office?
407-836-4357 Non-Emergency line

Planning & Development

How do I check on the status of a building permit?
Permits & Licenses - Commercial Plan Review - Check Status

Who do I report a County Code infraction to?
Please call 311 or (407) 836-3111.

Where do I go for questions about permits?
Visit our Permits & Licenses page.

Traffic &

Who do I contact if a traffic light isn't working?
Fill out a complaint form or call (407) 836-7777.

How do I go about getting a pothole repaired?
Report potholes to 311 Customer Service (407) 836-3111. Our crews will be out to make the repair within 24 hours.

Who do I contact if a streetlight isn't working?
Report a problem with a streetlight directly to the Electric Power Utility Company. Status updates can be sent to you.

For Duke Energy, call 800-228-8485 or visit
For Orlando Utilities Commission, call 407- 423-9018 or visit
For Winter Park Utilities call 877-811-8700 or visit
For Reedy Creek Utilities, call (407) 824-4913 or visit
For Florida Power and Light, call 800-468-8243 or visit

If the electrical company is unknown, please present the street address or location description, and we will contact the power provider to report the street light maintenance issue on your behalf. 311 has no procedure to track the status (since a third party provider is responding).

Water, Garbage &

What is automated residential collection service?
Automated residential collection service began in Orange County on January 1, 2016, and consists of two specially designed 95-gallon roll carts: one for garbage and one for recycling. These large roll carts are picked up and emptied by collection vehicles equipped with mechanical arms designed to lift the roll carts, empty the contents directly into the collection vehicle, and return them to the ground.

Where do I get information on garbage, recycling, and yard waste pickup, including days?
Please refer to our Residential Curbside Collection Program page.

How do I use the roll carts?
There should be about three feet of clearance around each roll cart placed curbside in order for the trucks to use the mechanical arm. The roll carts should be placed away from the mailbox, parked cars, and low-hanging tree limbs. The handles should be facing your house.

Can I use my own garbage cans for automated collection?
No. You must use the county-issued roll carts for garbage and recyclables. Automated collection requires a standardized, heavy-duty container that works with the truck mechanisms and leaves the streets clean.

Are services provided during the holidays?
The only collection holidays are Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. When these holidays fall on a regular scheduled collection day, the carts will be picked up one day after the normally scheduled collection day for the rest of the week. For example, if your collection day is Thursday, then your collection day will be the Friday after Thanksgiving and Friday's collection will be on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

What about yard waste? Does it go in a roll cart?
No. Yard waste should not be placed in the garbage or recycling roll cart. Yard waste is still collected manually curbside in containers provided by residents, or in bundles and/or bags. Bundle tree and shrub clippings into lengths of three feet or less and tie with string or twine. Each bag, bundle, or container must weigh less than 60 pounds, and yard waste volumes cannot exceed three cubic yards.

How do I dispose of large items that will not fit in my roll cart?
Large items such as furniture, mattresses, appliances, TVs, and up to four passenger car tires are collected the same day as yard waste. Collection is limited to three cubic yards per week, and the item(s) must be set out neatly. Please note that freon-containing devices such as freezers and refrigerators are not included in the curbside collection program.

Can I get some help pertaining to my water bill?
For all questions about your Water Bill, please refer to the Bill Payment Options page.

How do I stop or change my water service?
Please call (407) 836-5515 or refer to the Water Service page for information about how to stop or change your water service.

What are your hours of operation?
The Orange County Utilities Administration Building is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Phone service is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. at (407) 836-5515. The automated system is available 24/7 at (407) 836-5515. Commercial customers can also visit Orange County's Central "One Stop Shop" Permitting Services Office at 201 South Rosalind Avenue in Downtown Orlando, which is open Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.

How often is my water meter read?
Every 28-35 days.

When will I receive my first water bill?
It normally mails within 4-6 weeks after your service start date. Please call (407) 836-5515 if you do not receive a bill.

Why is my water bill so high?
Some of the most common reasons why a billed amount is higher than normal are leaks on the property, excessive usage, watering the lawn outside of the watering days, or filling a pool.

Can I get an extension on my water bill?
We do not give bill extensions; however, we do make payment arrangements for certain situations. Call us at (407) 836-5515 or visit us in person at the Orange County Utilities Administration Building at 9150 Curry Ford Road (on the southeast corner of Curry Ford Road and Econlockhatchee Trail in east Orlando) to speak with a customer service representative about this service.

My water service was disconnected, and I made my payment today. When will my service be restored?
We do not guarantee same-day service since work is completed on a first-come, first-served basis. We try our best to restore service the same day or no later than 8:00 p.m. the next business day.

How do I find out if water, reclaimed water, or sewer service is available in my area?
Please call the Utilities Customer Service Division at (407) 836-5515.

How do I find out how much it will cost for the County to extend water or sewer service to my home?
Please call the Utilities Customer Service Division at (407) 836-5515.

What number do I call if I am concerned about restoration after an Orange County Utilities repair?
Please call (407) 836-6818 or email for restoration concerns after a water, wastewater, or reclaimed water repair.