The International Drive Resort Area is the heart of economic activity for Orange County’s tourism industry and is home to the Orange County Convention Center, major theme parks, hotels, restaurants and shopping venues. Moving visitors and employees within this dynamic activity center is key to its continued economic vitality. Orange County is working on several transportation initiatives to accomplish this.
International Drive Community Redevelopment Area
The International Drive CRA was created to address transportation needs within a defined area. An Advisory Committee makes recommendations to the Board of County Commissioners regarding projects to be implemented. Projects currently being planned for the International Drive CRA include roadway and transit improvements, pedestrian enhancements, and traffic signal upgrades, such as:
- John Young Parkway (widening to 6 lanes from SR 528 to Florida’s Turnpike)
- Destination Parkway (new 4-lane roadway from International Dr to John Young Pkwy)
- International Drive (widening to 6 lanes from Westwood Blvd - S to Westwood Blvd - N)
- I-Drive Transit Lanes (new transit lanes along International Dr and Universal Blvd)
- I-Drive Pedestrian Bridge (bridge over International Dr at Convention Center West Concourse)
- Pedestrian Enhancements (sidewalks and pedestrian safety improvements throughout the CRA)
The I-Ride Trolley provides a themed transit service within the I-Drive area. This iconic tourist-oriented trolley consists of two routes and carries approximately 2 million passengers per year. This service is managed by the International Drive Master Transit and Improvement District, which is an innovative public-private partnership between Orange County, the City of Orlando, and the International Drive area business community.
In addition to the I-Ride Trolley, LYNX also provides public bus service within the I-Drive Area including the NeighborLink on-demand bus circulator service to the Williamsburg Community and a transit superstop along Destination Parkway for bus transfers.