Who are We?
It is with pride, dedication and professionalism that members of Orange County Fire Rescue Department (OCFRD) serve citizens of Orange County. The Recruitment Office is committed to fostering an inclusive recruitment program for motivated individuals who are physically fit and possess good moral character.
Along with the opportunity to make a difference within the community, a career in Fire Rescue offers stability and growth potential. Applications are only accepted during an official job posting from Orange County Human Resources.
Once a job posting is made available, all applicants must complete the on-line application. If selected for our hiring process, you will be required to download the Firefighter Application. Applications are only accepted during an official job posting from Orange County Human Resources
Preparing for the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
CPAT Orientation Guide
CPAT Test Preparation Guide
CPAT Mentoring Hold Harmless Form
CPAT Medical Clearance Form
- Emergency Dispatcher – This person receives emergency calls, determines the appropriate response of emergency resources, dispatches resources, and provides updated information to the responding resources.
- Fire Inspector I - This is a technical position requiring considerable initiative and sound judgment in the enforcement and compliance of state and county fire codes and standards.
- Fire Appartus Technician – This person performs preventive, predictive, and emergency maintenance and repair of\ OCFRD apparatus. This includes performing skilled maintenance and repair of fire emergency vehicles, hydraulic systems, fire pumps, fire equipment, diesel and small engines.
Postions are also available in Fiscal and Operational Support, Emergency Management, Infrastucure Support and Planning/Technical Services.
Become a Reserve Firefighter
Join the Orange County Fire Rescue Department Reserves to help reduce property loss caused by fire, hazardous situations, injuries, deaths, and other emergencies. This is a non-paid volunteer program designed for both certified firefighting personnel and civilian personnel. The Reserves provide participating citizens with a variety of duties that range from admistrative to actual firefighting. Get started by completing and submitting the Reserve Firefighter Application.
Become an Explorer
Become an Orange County Fire Rescue Explorer! Join the Explorer program and be part of real-life fire and rescue. This program allows young people to learn about the many aspects involved in fire-rescue service. Members participate in training classes, community events, department drills, trips, competitions and ride-alongs with Fire Rescue crews.
As an Explorer you learn from working professionals. Explorers must be:
- 14 to 20 years old.
- In school with at least a “C” average.
- A non-smoker.
- Responsible with good moral character.
- In good health to pass a medical exam.
Get started today by completing the Explorer Program Application and taking the orientation recruit class held throughout the year.
Diplomas & Degrees
If your education was obtained in the United States, the County recognizes degrees or diplomas which are accredited by an agency recognized by the United States Department of Education (USDE) or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). If you have obtained education from a country other than the United States, your degree or diploma must be evaluated to determine the United States equivalency by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Service (NACES) or the Association of International Credentials Evaluations (AICE) at your expense.