Demand is not only for open park space, but also for additional multi-purpose sports fields and new trails. Already budgeted is $2.5 million for development of the West Orange Relief High School football stadium. This partnership with Orange County Public Schools leverages County funds to build a multi-purpose stadium for use by the West Orange Relief High School sports teams and recreational opportunities for the community. Additionally, a Legislative Line Item (LLI) grant in the amount of $1 million has been approved by the State to help build a $2 million recreation center in the East Orange Regional Park in Christmas.
The remaining $16.5 million will be leveraged with matching funds from private, not-for-profit and governmental agencies for other Orange County Parks and Recreation projects, not yet determined.
Park Development Criteria include:
- Identified in Park Growth Analysis
- Must be a community park or larger
- If land is purchased, the site must have a sufficient amount of developable uplands
Trail Development Criteria include:
- Ranked in the Orange County Trails Master Plan
- Must be ranked and awaiting funding in MetroPlan’s Project Prioritization List or Transportation Improvement Plan
- Land must be available